1) we discussed the questions from the video “Constant Craving”
2) watched the reward pathway animation – shows us why we are motivated to do certain things – see the “girl eating hamburger” link on March 28 date
3) http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/addiction/adolescent/ – read over this article
4) read article on “marco’s brain”
5) assignment is to explain the reward system….include the words to the left in the circle….also include WHAT the reward centre is, HOW it works, WHY it exists, and HOW teens are more susceptible ———-this is due at the beginning of class on Monday, March 31 and is worth 15 marks
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/addiction/rewardbehavior/ reward circuit animation (girl eating hamburger)
http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/addiction/adolescent/ – the adolescent brain and addiction
http://www.amenclinics.com/about-us-23/the-science-2/spect-gallery/item/alcohol-and-drug-abuse – images of what happens to your brain when you abuse alcohol, drugs, etc
1) our round circle discussion on addiction
2) did a little quiz on “risk-taking” to see how much of a risk-taker you are
3) watched the video “Constant Craving” – see post from March 26 for this link= and answered the following questions
- 1) Which drugs are actually more dangerous than illicit drugs?
- 2) Why do people take drugs?
- 3) What is the significance of the reward centre of the brain?
- 4) What happens when you do something pleasurable?
- 5) How do drugs affect dopamine?
- 6) How does cocaine affect the brain?
- 7) What is the “rush”?
- 8) What happens to the brain if you have been using drugs over a period of time?
- 9) How does anticipation affect the brain?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GowvCVSnAfY – Constant Craving part 1
Welcome back to the Gulag, Psycho students! Here is what we did….
1) played a game
2) discussed what you think about addiction
3) watched the video “The Line” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpSu7vFtp-s
4) read pages 4/5 of Big Picture: Addiction —- http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/Education-resources/Education-and-learning/big-picture/all-issues/addiction/index.htm ———–click on “Download PDF” in the upper right corner – we will be discussing the following questions on Wednesday (participation marks)
Discussion about Addiction
1. What is addiction? What does addiction really mean?
2. What does it mean that you can be addicted to shopping, video games, etc?
3. What is the difference between use, abuse and addiction?
4. What are some of the reasons people take drugs, including nicotine and alcohol, in the first place?
5. Why would somebody choose to be addicted to something?
6. How does addiction happen? What can make some people more vulnerable to addiction than others? What can make a person less vulnerable?
7. If a person is addicted to something, are they mentally unwell? Why or why not?
8. How does one get out of addiction?
Well, turns out we didn’t do too much in Psych on Friday!!! Students missing, basketball game on, day before Spring Break….I decided not to push it and let it be a catch up class!
But this week was the big one, as all the assignments we’ve been working on for the past few weeks were due:
1) Inception is now WAY overdue – worth 50% only now….but that is better than nothing!
2) Sleep log analysis – 30% off as of today
3) Dream analysis – 10% off if not handed in at the beginning of class
4) Dreams in the Bible – 10% off if not handed in at the beginning of class
Feel free to email work over Spring Break – the sooner the better. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We only have FIVE classes left in this term!!!! GET YOUR WORK IN!!!!!!! 🙂 🙂